Dear Church Family-
- Beginning Sunday, June 7, we will offer blended worship at 9am and contemporary worship at 11am. Both services will also be offered online.
- Community Groups: We encourage community groups to continue to meet online for the time being. A select few Sunday morning groups are now meeting in person; space is also available in the facility for groups to meet at times other than Sunday morning.
- Wednesday Evening Prayer and Bible Study: We will gather in the fellowship hall at 6pm. This meeting will also be offered online.
- Ministry to Preschoolers, Kids, and Students: Details Below!
- Music Ministry: Rehearsals will kick back off in August.
- Two important clarifications:
- These plans are written in pencil, not in ink. The health situation in our community is ever-changing, and local guidelines are extremely fluid.
- Do not feel any pressure to return to the church building before you are ready to do so. Participating in online worship “counts” just as much as being at the building. Neither God nor your pastor will be disappointed in you if you continue to participate remotely!
Questions & Answers:
What steps will we take to ensure health and safety once on-campus worship resumes?
- Attendance at each service will be limited by county restrictions (currently 10% of capacity, which would mean 110 people in our worship center, though that percentage may increase before June 7). If necessary, we will set up overflow spaces for worship in our fellowship hall and/or student ministry space.
- We will block off every other pew and take other steps to maintain 6 feet of physical distance between worshippers who aren’t in the same household.
- The altered start times will allow time to clean the facility between services and reduce the potential for hallway crowding.
- Those who are sick are required to stay home, and those who are at risk due to age or medical condition are encouraged to stay home.
- We are eliminating high-touch activities (no handshakes or hugs, no greeting time, offering boxes at the back instead of passing the offering plate, no coffee or refreshments provided, no paper handouts, no Communion trays passed around, etc.).
- Masks will be provided; per Jackson County Guidelines, they will be required until further notice.
Hi Church Family!
We’ve been in communication with our parents via email and social media about our plans for the month of August for preschoolers, kids, and students. However, we wanted to let you know what was going on as well so you can stay in the loop. Please join us in praying for our families, volunteers, and ministries at FBCLS as we make these steps this month!
A Friendly Summary:
Preschool & Kids
- Phase 1, August 2:
- In-person small groups on Sundays, 10-11am
- Phase 2, As early as August 23:
- Begin worship care for preschoolers (birth through Pre-K) during one of the worship services
- Phase 3:
- First Arts Academy and traditional Wednesday night programming for preschoolers and kids will NOT resume when school starts. We will provide in-person activities for preschoolers and kids of orchestra members, choir members, and Wednesday night Bible Study & Prayer attendees beginning on August 19.
Students (student-specific details at bottom of email)
- Phase 1, August 2:
- Resume in-person small groups on Sundays, 10-11 am, The Underground (student area under the gym)
Preschool & Kids Details:
We are so excited to resume our Sunday morning, in-person teaching times for preschool and kids on Sunday, August 2 from 10-11 am. Your family’s safety and health are very important to us, and we want to make this transition as smooth and safe as possible!
Please read the details below carefully about our plans for resuming in-person starting next month.
What to Expect for Preschool & Kids:
While we will try to keep our environment as normal as possible for the children, please note these new changes for the safety of your child and our volunteers.
- If you check-in with KidMin App, your nametag will be printed and available for pickup in the children’s area when you arrive at church. We will have a limited number of check-in stations available to aid in social distancing. Each station will be run by a volunteer. When you arrive, please give the check-in volunteer your first and last name so they can print off the stickers for your family to provide you with a touchless check-in experience.
- PROMOTION: When you receive your child’s sticker, please check it and posted signs for room information. We have done our promotion for the 2020-2021 school year, so children will be in a new classroom upon returning to Preschool and First Kids.
- To promote social distancing, we encourage only individuals needed to pick up or drop off children to enter the children’s area to reduce crowding.
- We will follow mask requirements based on county guidelines for all meeting dates, which means masks are currently required for all preschool & elementary volunteers, all parents, and all elementary kids (exemptions will apply according to Jackson county guidelines).
- Please monitor your children for fever or other sickness before you leave home. We will be conducting non-contact temperature checks for all volunteers and children each Sunday. The temperature checks for children will occur within the first 15 minutes of their arrival to small groups each Sunday. Any child who has a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or is displaying other COVID-19 symptoms will be moved to a supervised and isolated area until parents or designated emergency contacts are able to arrive and take the child
- If you or your child has been sick or running fever in the last 24 hours, please stay connected with us online. You can see a full list of the CDC guidelines here.
- Please note: At this time, we will not be providing snacks for children during the small group hour. Thanks for understanding!
What do I do while my children are in small group?
Great question! The Wiley and Franke Community Groups will be meeting in-person from 10-11 am each Sunday. The Wiley Community Group will meet in the Loft (area above the gym) and the Franke Community Group will meet in the chapel (across from the Worship Center). Both groups are filled with parents and they would love to get connected with you too! You don’t have to let us know ahead of time in order attend either of these groups, but we can also get you in touch with the Wileys and Frankes if you would like more information!
Other community groups meeting during this time:
- Shaffer's Class - Sundays at 10:00am // ADM 139
- Draper's Class - Sundays at 10:00am // AUD 046
- Pennington's Class - Sundays at 10:15am // ADM 137
- Voris Class - Sundays at 10:00am // AUD 044
We will have the gym available for fellowship during this time as well.
Survey for Phase Two:
We are making plans to provide in-person worship service care for preschoolers (birth through Pre-K) during one of the worship service times beginning as early as Sunday, August 23. While it is our goal to eventually offer care during both worship services, we will begin with one service so we can ensure each room is sanitized thoroughly between uses. To assist us with planning, please fill out this survey by Friday, August 7 to let us know the age of your preschoolers and which service your family will be attending (9 or 11 am) whenever you choose to resume in-person worship.
- Wednesday Nights:
- We will begin providing in-person activities for preschoolers and kids of orchestra members, choir members, and Wednesday night Bible Study & Prayer attendees on August 19. We are still evaluating when we will begin Spark and Kids in Action (our traditional preschool & kids activities) this semester, but we know we will not begin when school starts. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this unprecedented time. Please let us know if you need in-person activities for your children on Wednesday nights!
- First Arts Academy:
- We will be postponing the start of First Arts Academy this semester as well. We will continue to evaluate this situation throughout this semester and keep you updated via Facebook and email. Thank you for your patience!
Although we are excited to resume in-person small groups on Sunday mornings, we also know that this email will cause a lot of sadness about this semester. We are mourning with you and hope to figure out some fun and safe things to do with your children throughout the fall. Please keep the families, volunteers, and ministries of FBCLS in your prayers as figure this out together. I am thankful that even in times of change and uncertainty, we serve a God who loves us and does not change!
Student Ministry Details:
Phase One: A Message from Matt Parker
Hey Awesome Parents of First LS Students!
I am so very excited to get started with serving with you guys in Lees Summit! It’s time to get started with some programs and activities, so here are a few things you need to know!
- The Parker Arkadelphia-to-LS transition will take a couple more weeks, but until we get settled I am available to you by email: Matt.firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: (903)641-9594, or socials: @grandmattyp. Feel free to connect with me and let me know if there’s any way I can serve or pray for your family!
- Until we get settled, I’d like to get to know you and your kids a bit. Please fill out this short online survey: https://forms.gle/5JnoCCn6fTKoVX6r5
- Sunday morning is our first week back for our Sunday Morning Bible Study! We’ll meet in the downstairs youth room between services! Please help us by monitoring your kids’ health and keep them home if they have fever, cough, and/or sore throat. And don’t forget your masks!
Keep a watch out for all the exciting things we have coming for our student ministry very soon! And thanks for being awesome!
A Message from your Family Ministry Team:
Thank you for walking this journey with us! We recognize that is extremely difficult (and in some ways impossible) to social distance in a classroom with children. We are striving to take reasonable steps to keep you and your family safe through the beginning of the school year and will continue to evaluate our procedures as the situation progresses. Please join us in prayer for the new school year and how God will move in the hearts of our children and students during this time!
Grace and peace,